The Ohio Film Tax Credit provides for a refundable credit against the corporation franchise or income tax for motion pictures produced in Ohio. The term “motion picture,” as utilized within the context of the legislation, is broadly defined and means entertainment content created in whole or in part within the State of Ohio for distribution or exhibition to the general public.
More specifically, the following types of productions could be eligible for the Film Tax Credit:
- Feature-length films
- Documentaries (long-form, specials, miniseries, series and interstitial television programming)
- Interactive Web sites
- Sound recordings
- Music videos
- Interactive television
- Interactive games
- Any format of digital media
- Any trailer, pilot, video teaser or demo created primarily to stimulate the sale, marketing, promotion or exploitation of future investment in either a product or a motion picture by any means and media in any digital media format, film or videotape provided the motion picture qualified as a motion picture.
The tax credit is equal to 25% of non-wage and nonresident wage Ohio production expenditures and 35% of Ohio resident wage production expenditures.
- Up to $5 million in credits is available per production.
- $20 million in credits is available in FY 2012-2013 another $20 million is available in FY 2013-2014.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, visit www.ohiofilmoffice.com